Dave Peterson

You could try:

Tools|options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)

And be aware that turning this setting off sometimes gives errors with workbooks
that contain spaces in their path/name:

C:\my documents\excel\my book.xls

The error will look kind of like:
cannot find c:\my ..
then
cannot find documents\excel\my
then
cannot find book.xls

But you can always start multiple instances, then use File|open to open your
workbooks.

==
And I don't think MSWord actually works the way you describe. But with windows
in taskbar clicked, you get something that looks like what you describe--but
it's still just on instance of MSWord.

Randy wrote:

I want to be able to click an an .xls, Excel spreadsheet file and have it so
when Excel starts it will use the /n switch. I want each file I click on to
start a new instance of Excel. I can easily do this by creating a shortcut,
but I cannot seem to get it to work when I just click on a spreadsheet file.
This is the behavior that Word exhibits if I click on a Word file. I want
Excel to work the same way.
I have seen posts on other sites which have indicated registry changes. I
have tried the suggestions without success. If anyone knows of a tried and
true way of doing this I would be grateful.

Thanks
--
Randy

--