txheart txheart is offline
Junior Member

Question Match, then autopopulate, based on condition

Hi all -
I've been able to figure out quite a bit of my initial questions, but there are still two areas that I just can't wrap my head around.
I have two spreadsheets, call them "Office" and "Global". Office has just the Mississippi office employee's information, Global has all locations employee's information. I want Global to check Office if, and only if, the Global/location cell has Mississippi. If Global cell C15 shows Mississippi, then it should check Office, find that first and last name in columns B & C - if there is a match, go to column D in Office and copy the ID# there, then paste it into Global D15.

I've managed to get a tiny section of what I want working after two days of reading these forums. lol I'm using =INDEX([Office.xls]Sheet1!$D$1:$D$1000,MATCH(1,([Office.xls]Sheet1!$B$1:$B$1000=A15)*([Office.xls]Sheet1!$C$1:$C$1000=B15),0)) with the ctrl+shft+enter

That gets the information and pastes it, but it's checking every row instead of just the ones that are located in Mississippi - I don't know how to put that in there. Also, instead of #N/A, I'd like to have it show "Unknown" - the ID number is applicable, but isn't known at this time. Again, the most important part of this is that Global only check Office if Global shows Mississippi in the location column (column C). If Global shows Mississippi, then do the Index/Match, returning "Unknown" if no match is found. I look forward to y'all's responses.

Goodness, I'm wordy! I've tried to explain exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, but if there are any questions, or if something needs clarified, I'll certainly try again. I've had my question up on two different forums for two days and basically no answers yet. LoL, I've edited this post because some of what I was trying to accomplish has, in fact, been figured out. It's still not what I want though, not without those other two pieces ...

Ky

Last edited by txheart : August 26th 09 at 10:38 PM