Charyn

Thank you for the explanation of the shortcuts! It not only made it easier
to understand what you were suggesting as a fix, but better explained what
the problem was as well!!

Best,
Charyn

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
I don't believe that you're looking at the same cell when you say that the
cell is *still* Text.
Maybe the cell beneath it, after you hit <Enter?

As I originally said,
<Ctrl <Shift <~
is a keyboard shortcut to format the cell(s) to "General".
That formatting alone, however, will *not* produce a working formula.

Try it the long way:

Format a cell to Text.
Enter a formula.
You'll see the text displayed *only*.
Then,
<Format <Cells <Number tab,
Click on General, then <OK.

You'll *still* see only the text of the formula.
shows as General.

Now, with the cell selected, click anywhere in the formula bar, and hit
<Enter.
OR
Double click in the cell (if you have "Edit In Cell" enabled), and hit
<Enter.

You've re-entered (registered) the formula, and it will now display the
results of the calculation.

<F2 is a keyboard shortcut to enter the "Edit" mode of a selected cell.

So ... all I posted was keyboard shortcuts to:
Change format to General,
Enter Edit mode,
Register the change.
--

HTH,

RD

"Tosca" wrote in message
Perfect!

However - I checked the format of the cell that caused the problem and it
was <Text. I did as you suggested and, whilst it displays the result
correctly now, the format is still <Text. What exactly does the series
of
keystrokes do?

Thanks

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
Since you say that it is only a single formula (cell) that's displaying
this
problem, try this:

Select the problem cell, then:

<Ctrl <Shift <~
Then <F2
Then
<Enter

What you did was format the cell to General (keyboard shortcut), and then
re-entered it.
--

HTH,

RD