Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Text

If you want to see the leading 0's in the formulabar (or while editing within
the cell), then you'll have to either pre-format the cell as Text or start your
entry with an apostrophe.

If you want to keep the values numeric, then you'll have to force yourself not
to look at the formulabar.

user wrote:

hi

I have the same issue where I need 4, 12 to be displayed as 004 & 012.
I did Format | Cells
On the Number Tab Choose Custom
Type 3 consecutive zeroes (000).

the problem is that when i click on the individual cells, it shows 4 & 12,
even though it displays on the ws as 004 & 012.
How can I format these into numbers, where the individual cells also shows
004 & 012.

I also tried the text (A1, "000), which works but stores them as text and I
need them to be formated to numbers.
--
Thanks

"tjtjjtjt" wrote:

One way (if you don't need the letters at all anymore):
Make ure there are blank cells to the right of thses cells.
Select the cells
Go to Data | Text to Columns
Choose Delimited and click Next
Set B as the Delimiter
Click Finish
You'll end up with the Numbers in their original cell, the B will be gone
and the O will be in a cell to the right. You can delete the extraneous O's.

Then, with your number cells Selected:
Format | Cells
On the Number Tab Choose Custom
Type 6 consecutive zeroes (000000) in the line provided. Don't use the
parentheses. This will give you the number format you typed out below.

tj

"Dava Sutts" wrote:

In Cell A1,2 ,3 ect i have the following info

12345BO
1234BO
123456BO

How do i convert these in Cells B1, 2, 3 etc to :
012345
001234
123456

To create a 6 figure number with the BO dropped off?

--

Dave Peterson