Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
user user is offline

Default Text

hi

I have the same issue where I need 4, 12 to be displayed as 004 & 012.
I did Format | Cells
On the Number Tab Choose Custom
Type 3 consecutive zeroes (000).

the problem is that when i click on the individual cells, it shows 4 & 12,
even though it displays on the ws as 004 & 012.
How can I format these into numbers, where the individual cells also shows
004 & 012.

I also tried the text (A1, "000), which works but stores them as text and I
need them to be formated to numbers.
--
Thanks

"tjtjjtjt" wrote:

One way (if you don't need the letters at all anymore):
Make ure there are blank cells to the right of thses cells.
Select the cells
Go to Data | Text to Columns
Choose Delimited and click Next
Set B as the Delimiter
Click Finish
You'll end up with the Numbers in their original cell, the B will be gone
and the O will be in a cell to the right. You can delete the extraneous O's.

Then, with your number cells Selected:
Format | Cells
On the Number Tab Choose Custom
Type 6 consecutive zeroes (000000) in the line provided. Don't use the
parentheses. This will give you the number format you typed out below.

tj

"Dava Sutts" wrote:

In Cell A1,2 ,3 ect i have the following info

12345BO
1234BO
123456BO

How do i convert these in Cells B1, 2, 3 etc to :
012345
001234
123456

To create a 6 figure number with the BO dropped off?