Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lynda Lynda is offline

Default Matching 2 columns

Sorry folks but I am having a brain dead moment because I know I have done
this before. I have three columns of data, in column A I have a list of
names, in column B I have another list of names that are matched up with the
dates in column C. I want to be able to match up the names in column B with
the names in column A by forcing the names in column B down until they find a
match in column A. Column A has more names than column B and not all names
have a match. The names in column A that dont have a match will be deleted.
A B C
Ashton, Bobbie Brown, Joe 1/2/1967
Brown, Joe Jones, Penny 8/7/1972
Crisp, Jason Smith, John 12/6/1981
Smith, John

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Lynda