Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bernard Liengme[_3_] Bernard Liengme[_3_] is offline

Default Summation: Difference in Decimal

You have given us little to go on.

It is important to know that formatting a cell changes what is displayed but
not what is stored
Suppose we are computing after-tax prices
13.45 15.06 (formula =A1*(1+12%) copied wont the column)
14.86 16.64
15.67 17.55
49.26 (fromula =SUM(B1:B3)
Looks like the answer should be 49.25 so we are out by 1 cent/penny
But the actual stored values are
13.45 15.0640
14.86 16.6432
15.67 17.5504
49.2576

Solution: use =ROUND(A1*(1+12%),2) to round the stored values before
addition
Or use =SUM(ROUND(B1:B3,2)) to get 49.25
This is an array formula that need to be committed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
There is another way: to use the option "use values as displayed" but it has
draw backs

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mels" wrote in message
I am computing this simple computation but when i am on the summation i
got
to have a difference in the decimal places. i compare my computation with
calculator and excel..How can i solve this simple problem. the situation
is
this.

I formated the cell into currency and a two decimal places only.

Can you help me figure this problem?

Thank you