Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme[_3_] Bernard Liengme[_3_] is offline

Default Creating numbers for an exponential growth curve

Of course, we could do this mathematically
y =AExp(kx)
Ln(y) = Ln(A) + kx

Ln(y2) = Ln(y1) = k(x2 - x1)
k = (Ln(100) - Log(5) ) /11 = 0.272339298

A=y/Exp(kx)
A=100/Exp(0.272339298*12) = 3.807979048

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Babymech" wrote in message
I have a question which might be possible to solve entirely through clever
math, but I'm not seeing it yet.

I want to define a LOW number, and a HIGH Number and then, for a given
number of steps, generate numbers in between LOW and HIGH, rising
exponentially from LOW to HIGH. One example would be the following

LOW = 5
HIGH = 100
# of steps: 12

Generated Numbers: 5 5 5 5,5 6 7 8 10 13 18 30 50 100

This, when put into a chart, gives an exponentially rising curve. I know
that I could do this by asking Excel to draw a trend line between a
limited
number of points, but I want to generate actual numbers.

My problem so far is that the equations I use to generate the numbers have
to be manually adjusted if I want them to end at up HIGH by, say, the 10th
number. By just inputting LOW, HIGH, and a number representing the
'exponentiality' of the progression, I want the list of numbers to cover
the
range between LOW and HIGH in, say, 10 steps, no matter what I input as
low
or high values.

Hopefully this makes sense, but I can try to clarify if my meaning doesn't
come across.

Thanks,
Babymech