Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Ranked Lookup

Did you enter the formula as an array?

**Confirm formula using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Newbie and Lost" wrote in message
That didn't seem to work. It just keeps returning the #1 value "Frank".
Is
there anything that may just need to be ordered differently? maybe IF
before
MIN?

"Luke M" wrote:

I'm assuming rank 1 is preferred choice (if not, change MIN to MAX). Also
assumes that you place a "x" in C2:C12 if an employee has already been
picked.

Array** formula is:
=INDEX(B2:B12,MATCH(MIN(IF(C2:C12<"x",A2:A12)),A2 :A12,0))

**Confirm formula using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Newbie and Lost" wrote:

I am trying to find a function that will help me with a side project I
am
working on. Simple Example: I have a list of ranked employees 1 - 10.
In
A2:b12 A= Rank B = Employee Name. There is a bid/draft for these
employees.
I am 5th in line to pick. I wanted to create a formula that would
allow me
to decide what pick to make depending on what employees were eliminated
on
picks 1 thru 4 AND who is ranked the highest in A2:B12. Is this
possible to
do? If so how?