Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default How to separate text and numbers in one cell or column?

You are entering the formula as normal. Please note that this is
an array formula. Within the cell in edit mode (F2) paste this formula and
press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to apply this formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar'
you can notice the curly braces at both ends like "{=<formula}"

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"novastar" wrote:

Hi Jacob,

This did not work for me. If I have a cell containing "Adam 22", I would
like to separate "adam" in one column and "22" in another column.

With the formula below I get "#N/A" in the cell.

--
novastar

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

The previous one will return an error for a lenghty string. Try this array
formula
=MID(A1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(1*MID(A1,ROW($1:$99),1 )),0),99)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

With your text in cell A1; try this formula in B1 .Please note that this is
an array formula. Within the cell in edit mode (F2) paste this formula and
press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to apply this formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar'
you can notice the curly braces at both ends like "{=<formula}"

=MID(A1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(1*MID(A1,ROW($1:$9),1) ),0),99)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"novastar" wrote:

Hi,

I have a column of cells which are in any of the following formats:

x #
x x #
x x x #

where x could be any number of characters (a-z or A-Z) either upper or lower
case.
# could be a 1,2 or 3 digit number 0-9

I generally have to post process this file in UNIX before I import it into
excel and do some modifications.

Is there an easier way to do this in Excel? I don't mind copying the column
and post processing one column to retain numbers and another column to retain
text.

--
novastar