Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default How to separate text and numbers in one cell or column?

Let's assume you have this formula to extract the numbers in cell B1:

=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A1)," ",REPT(" ",255)),255))

Enter this formula in C1 to return only the text portion of cell A1:

=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,""))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"novastar" wrote in message
Hi T.Valco,

Thanks........this helps me get the numbers in a column..

Now....I would like to eliminate the numbers and extract only the text in
different column...how do i do this?
--
novastar

"T. Valko" wrote:

This will extract the last "word" in a cell:

=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A1)," ",REPT(" ",255)),255))

Note that the result is a *TEXT* string even if the last "word" in the
cell
is a number. If your numbers can contain leading 0s then you'll need to
extract them as text in order to retain the leading 0s.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"novastar" wrote in message

I have a column of cells which are in any of the following formats:

x #
x x #
x x x #

where x could be any number of characters (a-z or A-Z) either upper or
lower
case.
# could be a 1,2 or 3 digit number 0-9

I generally have to post process this file in UNIX before I import it
into
excel and do some modifications.

Is there an easier way to do this in Excel? I don't mind copying the
column
and post processing one column to retain numbers and another column to
retain
text.

--
novastar