Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Sum of a column from nth row to end

Exactly!

In other words, if the last row that contains an entry is D100, Excel
doesn't bother checking cells D101:D65536. So there is no difference in
efficiency between these formulas:

=SUM(D3:D100)
=SUM(D3:D65536)

This does not apply to all functions/formulas, though!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rick Rothstein" wrote in message
I don't know this for sure, but my "gut" tells me that Excel will stop at
the limits of what in the VBA world is know as the UsedRange. The UsedRange
is, theoretically, the maximum range of cells in use (I said theoretically,
because deleting cell content via VB code can some times leave the
UsedRange larger than it should be). Excel tracks the extent of the cells
in use and it seems unlikely it would permit a calculation to extend into
what it "knows" is a range of cells that can have no data. So, I would
simply use =SUM(D3:D65536) and not worry too much about it.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"itsAchint" wrote in message
Luke,
I know I could do that but I was thinking whether we have some other
options
if we don't want to sum that long.
I know we can sum a whole column using SUM(D:D) but you cannot place that
SUM in the same column.

"Luke M" wrote:

Since it doesn't matter if you include blank or text cells in the SUM
function, why not:

=SUM(D3:D65536)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't know
the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!