Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Luke M Luke M is offline

Default Using VLookup when text isn't an exact match

Need to use an array** function using SEARCH (or FIND, if you want
case-sensitive).

Let's say your lookup column is in A2:A10, return column is C2:C10, and
value to find is in A1

=INDEX(C2:C10,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A1,A2:A10 )),0))

**Array formulas need to be confirmed using Ctrl+Shift+Enter,, not just Enter.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Ken K" wrote:

I am trying to match a list of data using Vlookup with an array that isn't an
exact match. Example, cell may have "red, white & blue" and the array has
"red". I want this to return a positive match, not N/A#.

Is there a way to do this using Vlookup or some other function?
--
Ken K