Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SDP SDP is offline

Default Need to sort part numbers, sometimes ignoring leading letters

Thanks - that takes the Text To Columns part out of it, which is nice.
However, I need the "TE" to remain intact. Is there a way to put it back on
(on the right part numbers)?

"Teethless mama" wrote:

create a helper column in columnB

In B2: =SUBSTITUTE(A2,"TE","")
copy down, then sort the columnB

"SDP" wrote:

That was poorly written, sorry. Redo:
Hello.
I have many part numbes to sort. The problem is that some part numbers are
all numbers, and some part numbers begin with: TE
I'd like to ask Excel to ignore the TE when sorting, and only sort by the
number component, but still keep the TE. Any way to do that? I can do it
VERY clumsily with Text To Columns and concantenate after, but this is for a
co-worker with little Excel experience. The list gets added to daily.

Have this:
198919-001
198960-001
198962-001