Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Formula Question

Sounds a bit complicated !!

Pete

On Aug 19, 1:52*am, smartin wrote:

There is more than one way to do this. Here are a couple I am familiar
with...

This one was recently described by Mike Alexander on his blog. He uses
Access and a little VBA:http://datapigtechnologies.com/blog/...ng-a-dataset-i...

Another method uses a pivot table. For this to work properly there must
not be any duplication of the key (Date + Location), and the value
fields (Cash, Visa, etc.) must be numeric. Make a Pivot Table out of
your data. Put Date and Location in Row areas, the remaining fields in
the data area. Ensure aggregation is "Sum of" each. This is nearly the
layout you seek.

To refine, first remove the automatic subtotal on Date. Next, copy and
paste the PT as values nearby (e.g., in column F). Now fill in the blank
category cells with this formula in F4, filled right and down:
* =IF(ISBLANK(A4),F3,A4)
Fix the date format in F, and do a replace in H to remove the "Sum of "
prefix. Columns F:I are now a normalized version of your original data