Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
RagDyeR RagDyeR is offline

Default vLookup but choose either of 2 columns

Say datalist is A1 to E20, with column headers in A1 to E1.

Lookup value to fin is in G1,
and dropdown cell is F1, which contains column headers matching labels in A1
to E1:

=INDEX(A2:E20,MATCH(G1,A2:A20,0),MATCH(F1,A1:E1,0) )
--
HTH,

RD

"Hugh self taught" wrote in
message ...
Hi All,

I have a scenario where I want to lookup a value in column A but would
like
to choose either column 4 or 5 from the resultant row in a drop down based
on
other criteria I know. Is something like that possible? If so is it
possible
to have a heading on each column to better identify which is which?

How would I attempt such a manouver?

Cheers
Hugh