Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Formatting Dates

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 05:05:01 -0700, Lynda
wrote:

I have looked through other threads but can't find an answer to my query. I
have dates that I am unable to format. We run an SQL query at work and the
dates came back as yyyy-mm-dd, so we were trying to format them as dd/mm/yyyy
but they refuse to change. We tried the normal date format, no good, then we
tried the custom format and still no good. Does anyone have any ideas as to
how we might be able to fix this?
Cheers
Lynda

If none of them are changing, then they are probably being imported as Text.

One solution:

Select the column of dates.
Select the Text-to-Columns wizard (Data menu) and, when you get to the
appropriate step, select YMD as the date format. After you do this, Excel
should convert them to "real" Excel dates and you should be able to format them
however you wish.
--ron