Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joel joel is offline

Default Sort legal numbering

I usually have to use auxilarary columns which will contain 7 in one column
and 1 in next column

Use these formula to get the integer and fractional part of the number.
then copy the formula down the new columns. then sort on new columns

=VALUE(LEFT(A1,FIND(".",A1)-1))
=VALUE(MID(A1,FIND(".",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))

"Ladymuck" wrote:

I am using Excel 2003.

I have a spreadsheet where the data is organised with legal numbering and
then some text. The problem is that the order when using the standard sort is
(for example) 7.1, 7.10, 7.11, 7.12, 7.2, 7.3, 7.31, 7.32, 7.4, instead of
7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.10, 7.11, 7.12, etc

How do I get excel to recognise that 7.1 should be followed by 7.2 and not
7.10? The options button on the sort dialog box only offers Normal or months
of the year.

Thanks for any suggestions.