Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default if/then insert date but don't want automatic updates

As you have found out TODAY() is a volatile function that updates each day.

I would suggest some type of event code that adds a static timestamp rather
than have a formula-derived one.

But you can prevent a formula from updating using worksheet functions alone.

Couple of methods on John McGimpsey's site

One without VBA and one with.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:33:01 -0700, redleg
wrote:

I have a spreadsheet tracking personnel actions. I tried the following
formula =IF(L2="","",TODAY()) but I do not want the date stamp to
automatically update when the spreadsheet opens. How can I write a simple
formula so that when the cell has text entered into it, the date will be
recorded in the adjacent cell as a static stamp? Thanks.