Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default if/then insert date but don't want automatic updates

Long story made short... what you are asking for requires macros. If you want
to persue that it is a fairly simlpe macro but it many people don't wnat to
go there...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"redleg" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet tracking personnel actions. I tried the following
formula =IF(L2="","",TODAY()) but I do not want the date stamp to
automatically update when the spreadsheet opens. How can I write a simple
formula so that when the cell has text entered into it, the date will be
recorded in the adjacent cell as a static stamp? Thanks.