Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_5_] Fred Smith[_5_] is offline

Default How to customize =Now()

You can't use a date format like mm/dd/yy to display elapsed times, because
there's no such thing as month 0. If your elapsed days are less than 31, you
can use a format of:
dd hh:mm:ss

Unfortunately, Excel will not display more than 31 days. If you will have
more than 31 days elapsed, you need to use a different technique, which was
explained to you in a previous post.

Regards,
Fred

"Robin" wrote in message
Fred you have helpped me learn to format the cells however. I am still
having
a problem in that I want the time to be all inclusive. It is not
subtracting
properly. for instance
08/15/09 12:56:15
-08/01/09 11:00:50
=01/14/00 01:55:25
The 1 should not be in the month since a month has not elapsed.

Robin
"Fred Smith" wrote:

Right-click on the cell, choose Format Cells...NumberCustom

In the Type: box, enter:
dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss

If you want am/pm instead of military time, use:
dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss am/pm

If you have an elapsed time, use:
hh:mm:ss

If your elapsed time goes over 24 hours, you can use:
[hh]:mm:ss

If you want to display number of days elapsed, as well as time, use:
dd hh:mm:ss am/pm

All of these options are explained in Custom Format in Help.

Regards,
Fred

"Robin" wrote in message
How do you customize the =Now() so that it is in the format of dd/mm/yy
and
hh:mm:ss instead of dd/mm/yyyy and hh:mm (military time). I am trying
have
an elapsed time with the now time minus the start time which is in the
form
of mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss. Will it give the correct elapsed time if it is in
the
current format.