Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Luke M Luke M is offline

Default References that move down as formula moves across - and vice versa

Can use INDIRECT

=INDIRECT("R"&COLUMN(A1)&"C"&ROW(A1),FALSE)

To explain:
This formula is creating a cell reference using R1C1 style referencing (the
false at end).

By referencing COLUMN in the R spot, you cause formula to move vertically
when you copy horizontally. Conversely, the ROW function in the C spot causes
formula to move horizontally when you copy vertically.

The formula I gave then will work in both directions (although I admit, I
would find this very confusing to work with on a large scale)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Michelle" wrote:

Hello, I would like to find the most expedient way to enter a formula that
simply returns the value from another cell... but when I copy it DOWN, the
reference moves RIGHT.

I would like it to work the other way too (if that's possible) so that if i
move it RIGHT the references move DOWN (could the same function work in both
directions)

I am interested in the best worksheet.function way of doing it, but also...

In an ideal world, I'd like to be really easy for everyone in my office to
use. Can I code a function to behave like this? so that it's as simple to
use as count or max?

Thanks

Michelle