Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme[_3_] Bernard Liengme[_3_] is offline

Default Formulas--NEED HELP!

It is such a pity we do not have a better way to display part of a
worksheet. Asy you will see beloew your data got a bit out of line.
However....
I have your numbers 10,19,8,9 in C3:C6, in D7 I have "FW"

To count the FW's and teat them as 8 hours, I will use:
=COUNTIF(D2:D8,"FW")*8
If FW could occur in column C, change this to
=COUNTIF(C2:D8,"FW")*8

So the total hours is given by =SUM(C2:D8) + COUNTIF(D2:D8,"FW")*8
We want to max this out at 40, so we use MIN function
=MIN(SUM(C2:D8)+COUNTIF(D2:D8,"FW")*8,40)
I have this in
To compute over time, in D9 I used
=MAX(0,(SUM(C2:D8)+COUNTIF(D2:D8,"FW")*8-40))
The MAX stops us getting a negative value

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"CSUFurloughTracker" wrote in
message ...
Basically, I am trying to do a tracking sheet for hours and the
"California
State" Furloughs. If some one works on their Furlough day they should be
entering "FW" into the cell. The totals at the bottom of the page should
then
read that FW=8 hours plus any additional time entered for the week. If
someone works over 40 hours then i need to have the weekly total split
into
"regular hours" and "overtime hours."
This is what I have
Week 2
August Date REG OT
Sunday 8/2/09
Monday 8/3/09 10.00
Tuesday 8/4/09 10.00
Wednesday 8/5/09 8.00
Thursday 8/6/09 9.00
Friday 8/7/09 FW
Saturday 8/8/09
Total weekly hours 37.00

This is what I need:
Week 2
August Date REG OT
Sunday 8/2/09
Monday 8/3/09 10.00
Tuesday 8/4/09 10.00
Wednesday 8/5/09 8.00
Thursday 8/6/09 9.00
Friday 8/7/09 FW
Saturday 8/8/09
Total weekly hours 40.00 5.00

I am trying to do two things...

1) Convert the sum of a range of cells {=SUM(C1:D15)} to reflect the
number
8 if "FW" is typed a cell within that range.
Next,
2) If the formula above is 40 then the cell need to convert over the
values
if the above reaches over 40.