Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default How Can I Globally Change Hyperlinks?

I like to use the =hyperlink() worksheet function for this.

I'll put the path in a hidden cell (A1 in my example). (Include the trailing
backslash, too!)

Then put the filenames in A2:Axxx
Then use the =hyperlink() formula in B2:Bxx.

=hyperlink("File:////"&$a$1&a2,"Click me")
and drag down

Then when I need to change the folder, I can change it one location (A1).

I could embed the path directly in the formula:
=hyperlink("File:////c:\my documents\excel\"& a2,"Click me")
and use Edit|Replace, but that seems like more work to me.

========
If you used Insert|Hyperlink, then you've noticed that edit|replace won't touch
those hyperlink addresses.

Saved from a previous post:

If you used Insert|hyperlink (xl2003 menus), you'll have more work to do. But
the good news is David McRitchie has done most of it for you:

look for:
Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks)

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

Terry wrote:

I seem to know just enough about Excel to be dangerous, and therein
lies my question.

I have a spreadsheet (1 sheet) that has some 600 (and climbing) rows,
one column of each having a hyperlink to a file on an external drive.
Eventually, all the linked files will be moved to another disk and the
links changed to that new drive's location.

Is there a way to globally change the links to the other disk when the
project is completed. I have stopped adding links until I discover a
way, for I really don't want to do the changes manually one at a time!

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers--Terry
Terry--WB4FXD
Edenton, NC