Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chris Waller Chris Waller is offline

Default Calculating Times

I have been helping a colleague with an Excel problem and to be honest it has
got me stumped. My colleague is downloading a report from one system into an
Excel spreadsheet. A number of the columns contain time in the format
hh:mm:ss, however if you try to use the autosum or the = sum formula on them
and subsequently format the answer cell it shows 00:00:00, however if you go
into each cell edit (F2) and then press enter, it then includes the figures
in the total. As this could be a very laborious job depending how many cells
there are, I was wondering if anyone knew what was causing the problem and a
possible answer. I do have an abridged version of the file with me, so if
anyone needs to look at it, I could post to a convenient place. TIA