Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Picman Picman is offline

Default Conditional formatting size limit

I took a look at the "Excel specifications & limits" page and there was
nothing that seemed to be an issue in this case.
Here is a little better description of the issue that I encounter.
When I try to save my file (Excel 2003) I receive an error message that
states:

"Excel could not save all the data and formatting you recently added to
filename.xls.

To return to your workbook without saving click Cancel.
If you want to continue saving changes without repairing the problem, click
OK.

I've tried to hit the help button but get nothing but a blank page.

I've tried to remove all of the formatting (bold, borders etc.) but nothing
seems to work.

The whole workbook is only about 12mb. Approx 8400 rows by 20 columns with
every seventh row containing a conditional format in 14 of the cells across.
The conditional format is simple as well, if the number is lass than 0 format
the value to be bold and red, and thats it. I don't understand why Excel is
having any difficulties handling this. Got any ideas? Please.

"Luke M" wrote:

(Verified up to 2003)
No, you can conditionally format every cell in the sheet. (although this
could cause your computer to slow down, depending on available memory.

See "Excel specifications & limits" for further details, as there are limits
on nyumber of cell styles and number custom formats.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Picman" wrote:

Is there a limit to the number of cells that can contain conditional
formating in one worksheet?