Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dr3Bob Dr3Bob is offline

Default Excel should let me create pivot tables of non-numeric data.

I would also like to have this capability. Basically, I don't want to
aggregate values I just want to use the filtering and grouping capabilities
of pivot tables.

For small sets of data, you can almost get what you want using numeric coded
values for the text. Then use conditional formatting to display the text.
However, what you really need is a lookup function that converts a number
into a text string to be displayed.

"Geek4Life" wrote:

Basically, the need is to build multi-dimensional tables of text. This would
be more ideal in Word, but Excel PivotTables comes so close...if only it
allowed text data.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.