Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default Calculating monthly values for a certificate of deposit.

It's a simply future value calculation. The only complication would be the
compounding period, which I doubt is monthly -- it's more likely annual. If
so, use:
=fv(IntRate,(today()-PurchaseDate)/365,0,-InvestAmount)

Regards,
Fred

"thehed" wrote in message
I think I need to ask my question more clearly.

I track my investments in Excel. I have a workbook where each
worksheet is a separate investment. The first worksheet is a summary
of the others, # of shares, Very simple average cost basis, percentage
increase(decrease). The summary worksheet pulls the security price
from the web.

I would like to put the CD on the summary sheet. I would like it to
show the "value" of the CD as of the date I am looking at it. So if
I'm looking at the summary worksheet 6 months and 1 week from the CD
purchase, the summary page will show the initial amount of the CD plus
the 6 months accrued interest.

e.g.

DATE
8/8/9

VALUE
$1001.21

Where the date is auto filled in using the proper command (=today
()?).

Maybe I could use the FV formula with the interest calculated for an
equivalent daily rate and then use the starting date and =today() to
find difference in days from start to present and plug those number of
days into FV formula.

I do NOT need this to be EXACT...just a ballpark amount for the
present value of the CD.

I will try the above solutions...I'm working nights and my brain isn't
as sharp as it needs to be.

Thanks for the help.