Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date Formatting

The problem is that, to Excel, a date is made up of a month, day AND year... a month and a day is not a date. If you never want to use it as a date, you can format the cell as Text beforehand; or, if you want to leave the format as General, you can enter your "date" by first typing an apostrophe and then your "date" text (Excel won't show the apostrophe and it will treat your entry as Text).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"TheRiverT" wrote in message ...
I am trying to enter the date September 19 and I do not want the year tacked
on.
Everytime that I type "September 19" and press enter, Excel automatically
changes it to 19-Sep or when the cell is highlighted it is 9/19/09. How can I
turn off automatic formulas and editing and what not?