Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JICDB JICDB is offline

Default Max if variable begins with

I don't see anything like this posted already - so here's my dilema.

Contract numbers start with various letters based on the type of contract
they are (F, Q, H, M). They then go in numerical order per letter. example
of the format: F-04. I want a formula to look at an entire columns of data
(about 200 rows) and tell me what the last contract number used for that
letter is. For example I have to enter a new contract that needs to start
with a Q. I want the formulas to look in this column and find the largest Q
contract and add one to it so that I know what the next available number is.
If this is even possible I'm pretty sure it is an array. Thanks for your
help.