Ron

Thanks N Harkawat,
Your formula works. I will check the spacing...thank you very much!
--
Ron

"N Harkawat" wrote:

Seems like when you are using the replace function in column B your new text
you are replacing is " " (a space)
so what you are getting is "abcdef " (note the space after f) instead of
"abcdef"
Checkl the lenght of the string in cell B1 using LEN(B1) whether its 6 or 7
characters
If 7 then either modify your replace command or use the following countif
=COUNTIF(B1:B100,"abcdef ")

Or instead of using column B to assist in the count use this on column A
directly
=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"*abcdef*")

"Ron" wrote in message
In col A I have 17 character code and in Col B I do a replace 11
characters
so just the first 6 characters are left and in Col B
Col A Col B
abcdefXXXXXXXXXXX abcdef
In col C I want to countif(b1:b100,"abcdef")
I will get 0 unless I go back and type in every cell in col B and then the
formula counts the correct number of matches.
Any help as to how I can correct this without retyping each cell in Col B?
have anywhere from 1000 - 9000 cells to match and count.
Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Ron