Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default multiple column dynamic range

If your formula evaluated to use start in Row 1 but extend the range to 12 rows,
that would be legal.

But if that formula evaluated to start in row 1 but extend for 0 or a negative
number of rows, then that would not be legal.

Are you sure that the worksheet is named Measure?

Maybe there's a spelling error (or an extra space character at either end???

Robin wrote:

C1:D1 is a topic

Cells C ARE words andCells D are abbreviations. I do not know what a legal
range reference.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

What's in column C?

If there's not enough to count, then you may not have a legal range/reference.

ps. If you're not sure what's in C1 all the time, you may want to use a formula
like:

=OFFSET(Measure!$C$2,0,0,COUNTA(Measure!$C:$C)-COUNTA(Measure!$C$1),2)

Then the range (if it's legal!) will start in row 2.

Robin wrote:

I have a range from C2:D234. The column C has a heading of term and Column D
is the abbreviaton. I want the cells starting wiht C235 and D 235 to be able
to have additions made by the user. I have been given instructions to do the
following

have 2007 version and I have gone to Formulas tab and then select name
define
Then I type in DynAbbrMeasure
I select list (is there something else that I should select?)
I then Paste =OFFSET(Measure!$C$2,0,0,COUNTA(Measure!$C:$C),2)
Click ok
Press F5
In the go to box it states D236:D236
I type in DynAbbrMeasure
It states that the Reference is not valid

What am I doing wrong? The end of the typed list is C 234 & D 234 and I
would like the range to be added to and an indefinite range. I would
appreciate your help with this.

Sincerely,

Robin

--