Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
robin robin is offline

Default multiple column dynamic range

Gord
This is what I did ( Yes, you did not tell me to select list)

I did not select any cells on the excel sheet; however there is always a box
that has bold black borders.

Selected Formulas.Namebox
Type DynAbbrMeasure
Left the scope dropdown at the default worksheet but I think it might be
appropriate to select list because I would like the user to select from or
add to the list.

Pasted your formula =OFFSET(Measure!$C$2,0,0,COUNTA(Measure!$C:$C),2)

Clicked OK

PressedF5

type in DynAbbrMeasure
Clicked ok
A window popped up that I had an invalid reference.

You guys have helped me. I hope that you can troubleshoot the method that I
have employed.

Sincerely,

Robin

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Selecting "list" was not the instructions you got from me.

These are my instructions and comments using the formula you got from Luke.

When creating the dynamic range you do not select any particular cell or
range of cells

InsertNameDefine................type a name.........I'll use DynAbb

In the "refers to" box enter

=OFFSET(Measure!$C$2,10,0,MAX(COUNTA(Measure!$C:$C ),COUNTA(Measure!$D:$D)),2)

OK your way out.

F5Goto

Type in DynAbb

With the formula above C12 to 10 blank cells below last used cell in column
D will be selected.

I don't think that's what you want but you said to Luke......"your
instruction is good"

Assume you currently have data in C2:D234 do you want your DynAbb to include
that range and expand when you add more rows?

If column C and D will contain same number of used rows then

=OFFSET(Measure!$C$2,0,0,COUNTA(Measure!$C:$C),2)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 11:09:03 -0700, Robin
wrote:

I have a range from C2:D234. The column C has a heading of term and Column D
is the abbreviaton. I want the cells starting wiht C235 and D 235 to be able
to have additions made by the user. I have been given instructions to do the
following

have 2007 version and I have gone to Formulas tab and then select name
define
Then I type in DynAbbrMeasure
I select list (is there something else that I should select?)
I then Paste =OFFSET(Measure!$C$2,0,0,COUNTA(Measure!$C:$C),2)
Click ok
Press F5
In the go to box it states D236:D236
I type in DynAbbrMeasure
It states that the Reference is not valid

What am I doing wrong? The end of the typed list is C 234 & D 234 and I
would like the range to be added to and an indefinite range. I would
appreciate your help with this.

Sincerely,

Robin