Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default how to convert text to number

Maybe your spaces weren't proper spaces (with character code of 32) -
they may have been the non-breaking space character with a code of
160, and TRIM does not get rid of these. You would need to use the
SUBSTITUTE function, or you could use Find & Replace.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 31, 8:32*pm, gwen wrote:
Yes I tried that and it did not work.

"alexrs2k" wrote:
You could have used th formula =value() that converts any string containing a
number into number.
--
Alex
*Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you. Thank you!

"gwen" wrote:

I tried that and still didn't get numbers. *I tried multiplying by one...no
luck. *I then noticed that there were many empty spaces after each number. *I
tried the trim function and the value function. *Eventually I just
individually deleted the empty spaces and they turned into numbers. *
Fortunately I only had 6 cells to work with. *Is there something else I could
have tried?

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

So you have a bunch of numbers that are actually text??? If so then....

Place the number 1 in any blank cell.
Copy it
Select the range of text to be Converted
Select Paste Special - Multiply
Your text is now numbers...
--
HTH...