Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dennis (The Menace) Hayden Dennis (The Menace) Hayden is offline

Default Formula won't show sum

I have this problem also. I even tried moving the spreadsheet to different
PCs, and opening it in 2007.

In the end I substituted =SUM(A1:A5) for =A1+A2+A3+A4+A5 And low and behold
it works. So there seems to be "SUMthing" wrong with this function under
certain conditions.

Den

"Marcie" wrote:

Good Afternoon! I am having a similar problem and have tried all of the
suggestions below and nothing worked. I copied some values from my cell
phone bill on the net and tried to sum them. The values copied very nicely
into Excel but do not sum. If i retype the numbers over the original number
they will then start to sum which to me suggests formatting. Keep in mind
I've tried all of the below mentioned tricks. Any more thoughts? Thanks!
Marcie

"Parry" wrote:

I'm a novice...and self-taught, but I love Excel. Can someone please explain
why when I enter a formula to add a column of numbers, the formula is showing
in the cell and not the sum. the formula is: =sum(e27:e42) Have they
changed how a formula is written in Excel 2007? Even after I format the
cells to be numbers versus text, the sum function won't show a sum...just the
formula. Sometimes all I get is a zero. How can I fix this? It's very
frustrating. Thx.
--
Novice
Thanks