Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
francis francis is offline

Default Number/Text combination formula

perhap this
assuming that data start at row 2 onward, place this in C2 and copy down
=LEFT(A2,SEARCH(" ",A2,1))*B2

--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

Am not a greek but an ordinary user trying to assist another

"donnae" wrote:

Hi Jacob thanks for the quick response, lets see if I can articulate a little
clearer. This is how my spread sheet is set up:
Quantity Unit Cost Total Cost
5 Boxes(Coloum/Cell # A1) $5.29(A2) 26.45(A3)
My formula currently looks like this =A1*A2 . I get a VALUE ERROR message
because cell A1 contains text! How do I create a formula that will ignore the
text portion of cell A1 and give me the total dollar amount in cell A3?

How do I create a formula that gives a dollar amount as the ending result in
a cell when the cell that formula is referencing contains numbers and text?
Example 5 Boxes at 5.99= $29.95($0.00 dollar amount being the end result 5
boxes being the number/text cell reference for the formula) Anyhelp anyone
can provide is greatly appreciated!