Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default Number/Text combination formula

If you have a space between the numeric part and text in cell A1 use the
formula

=(LEFT(A1,FIND(CHAR(32),A1)-1)) * A2

If there are no spaces use the below formula;Please note that this is an
array formula. Within the cell in edit mode (F2) paste this formula and press
Ctrl+Shift+Enter to apply this formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar' you
can notice the curly braces at both ends like "{=<formula}"

=LEFT(A1,COUNT(1*MID(A1,ROW($1:$9),1)))*A2

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"donnae" wrote:

Hi Jacob thanks for the quick response, lets see if I can articulate a little
clearer. This is how my spread sheet is set up:
Quantity Unit Cost Total Cost
5 Boxes(Coloum/Cell # A1) $5.29(A2) 26.45(A3)
My formula currently looks like this =A1*A2 . I get a VALUE ERROR message
because cell A1 contains text! How do I create a formula that will ignore the
text portion of cell A1 and give me the total dollar amount in cell A3?

How do I create a formula that gives a dollar amount as the ending result in
a cell when the cell that formula is referencing contains numbers and text?
Example 5 Boxes at 5.99= $29.95($0.00 dollar amount being the end result 5
boxes being the number/text cell reference for the formula) Anyhelp anyone
can provide is greatly appreciated!