Hi

I reckon you'll either need someone on the NG to write you a macro to do
this job in situ, or you can use a helper column, alongside the existing
column and then replace the column with the new one.
In the helper column use:
=TEXT(A2,"dd-mmm-yy")
and fill this down. Once you are happy with the result, copy the range and
Edit|Paste Special|Values to replace your formulas with the actual values.
Then you can replace the current column with the new one.
Make sure you take a copy of your data before you start!

--
Andy.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a column of 10900 cells with dates of the form
13-May-05. Excel automatically interpreted them as
dates when I imported the data from a text file. Now
I want them to be interpreted as text. The problem is:
when I change the format to "text", the cell content
changes to a number. For example, 13-May-05 becomes
38485.

Hindsight being 20-20, I should have entered the dates
in the form '13-May-50. But it is too late for that
now, I think.

How can I change the cell format to the text 13-May-05
without manually changing all 10900 cells?