Peo Sjoblom

You have to use INDIRECT but it won't work with closed workbooks thus no
need for a path however since you used the path there are some workarounds,
not very easy but still doable

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...49f6c074a3adfd

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...3f710fa81f755b

Peo Sjoblom

"Using a string within a Vlookup function" <Using a string within a Vlookup
wrote in message
Help,
I have excel spreadsheets that have been saved per person in my school.
Because each year, the teachers may switch grade levels, I do not want my
Vlookup to be setup for that teacher, because I do not want to change
formulas each year. I have three cells per teacher on my master excel
spreadsheet that lists the directory "N:\shared\ teachers", another cell
that
lists the year "\2005" and another cell that lists the teacher's name
"marley". I can use the concatenate function to join the names together
(=CONCATENATE(D2,D3,D4)), but cannot get the Vlookup function to view the
contents of the concatenate cell as the file name within the Vlookup
function.....
=VLOOKUP(C6,'N:\shared\teachers\2005\marley[budget fall 2005.xls]PEP
2004-2005'!$C$6:$D$16,2)
Does anyone have any ideas?