Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

Default Settings of Data Validation

since i am showing the 52 periods(Sundays) of the 2 years range, i have to
put them in order, for example, 2008 first then 2009. but user wants to show
the 1/4/2009 first which is the first Sunday of 2009 and is the middle item
of the whole list.

"KC" wrote:

1) When I used Data Validation for a drop-down list, I usually set my list up
on another worksheet, give it a defined name (usually a dynamic named range
or using Excel's List functionality), and point to that Name as the Source.
I have lists with way more than 8 entries and the drop-down box always works
just fine to show all available selections.

2) The order is set by the Source. When you do a list on another sheet as
discussed above, you are in total control of the order of the list entries.

--
Please remember to indicate when the post is answered so others can benefit
from it later.

"BJ" wrote:

Hi,

I have couple of questions regarding how to use 'Data Validation' in Excel.

1. when use a list to show the data source for a cell in an Excel file, the
maximum items that showing from the list when user clicks on it is 8 items,
is that possible to expand it to show more? for example, when user clicks on
the arrow, the 26 periods can be showed.

2. instead of showing from the first one from the source range, is that
possible to choose which one to show on the top?

thank you.