Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Steve Steve is offline

Default multi-array sumproduct

Howdee all.
I'm trying something new with sumproduct that I've always been too
intimidated to try-- a 10 array sumproduct function.
My goal is to tally the totals of 8 different values, with one common value
between them.
I set my common arrary 1st-- (E6:E266=E139)
I then select my subsequent 8 arrays. Each one having a different criteria--
(A6:A266=Y18)
(A6:A266=Y19)
(A6:A266=Y20)
(A6:A266=Y21)
(A6:A266=Y22)
(A6:A266=Y23)
(A6:A266=Y24)
(A6:A266=Y25)
For each of these, I anticipate no more than two true responses.
I then have my final array
(b6:b266)
This last array has my values that I want summed.
Now, as I understand sumproduct, the true response will return a 1, and
false, a 0.
As my worksheet is ordered, with my initial array, I get 8 true responses.
With my second array- I get two trues. 3rd- two trues; 4th, one, and on out
to the 8th basic array.

For a reason that I'm not clear on, it appears that if the true response is
not in the same position as the previous array's true response, it returns a
false-- which is 0 (thereby nullifying the entire response to 0).

I get this in smaller arrays, as I do a 3 criteria array sumproduct all the
time.
It was my hope to have a true for array 1, and 2. A true for array 1 and 3,
a true for array 1 and 4, etc.... through 1 and 8. However, the true

E.g., let's say that 1 and 2 have a true response at position 30.
1 and 3 have it at pos'n 42, 1 and 4 are at pos'n 45, 1 and 5 are at pos'n
53, 1 & 6 at 156, 1 & 7 at 232, 1 & 8 at 245, and 1 & 9 are at 248.

It appears that even if array 1 and 2 is true, but array 1 & 3 is false at
the identical position of 42-- even though its true at 45, it nullifies the
function.

As I write this, I'm beginning to think that I'd be better off either
nesting my sumproduct (SP) functions, or doing 8 individual SP eq's.

Could someone help clarify this for me?

Thank you.