Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SGee SGee is offline

Default Average of Years employed

I am trying to find an average length of employment for a group of employees
at the time of their promotion. I am using the formula below to calculate
each employee's time in service at the date of promotion:

=DATEDIF(D4,E4,"y") & " Yrs, " & DATEDIF(D4,E4,"ym") & " Months"

whe
D4 = beginning employment date
E4 = promotion date

What I would like to do is average the time on the job for the employees
promoted in each group. I cannot simply average the column due (I think) to
the text in the output.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

Scott