Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Countif contains a word in a reference cell

You can use wildcard characters, so instead of:

Sheet1!A2

you can put:

"*"&Sheet1!A2&"*"

twice in your formula.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 28, 2:56*pm, Go Bucks!!!
wrote:
Good morning,

I have a range of information that contains text and 0,1's. *The text will
change each report. *In performing a summary, I want the formula to look at a
reference cell and tell me if the text *contains* the word in my reference
cell. *For example,

Where Sheet 1 is a summary page and Sheet 2 contains the data (text and
0's/1's). *

* * * * A * * * B
1 * * * Summary
2 * * * Samsung 2
3 * * * Micron *1
4 * * * IBM * * 0
* * * * * * * * Sheet 1

* * * * A * * * * * * * * * * * * B
1 * * * IBM Fishkill, NY * * * * * *0
2 * * * IBM * * * * * * * * * * * 0
3 * * * Samsung Austin * * * * 1
4 * * * Micron * * * * * * * * * *0
5 * * * Samsung * * * * * * * * * 1
6 * * * Samsung * * * * * * * * * 0
7 * * * Micron * * * * * * * * * *1
8 * * * Samsung * * * * * * * * * 0
9 * * * Micron * * * * * * * * * *0
10 * * *Micron * * * * * * * * * *0
* * * * * * * * Sheet 2

I was attempting with the following formula:

=IF(COUNTIFS(Sheet2!B1:B10,0,Sheet2!A1:A10,Sheet1! A2)=0,"",COUNTIFS(Sheet2!*B1:B10,0,Sheet2!A1:A10,S heet1!A2))

Forumula currently only detects an exact match with contents of Sheet1!A2,
e.g. "samsung". I need it to return the count if it contains samsung. *Result
should be 2.

Thanks,