Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR RagDyeR is offline

Default type one key instead of shift colon

For that exact reason I've set-up the girls in our offices to use *double
decimal* entry to denote the colon for Monday morning time card entry.

5..45 is an easy 10key entry, and most of them leave it on their machines
permanently.

RD

"T. Valko" wrote in message
If I had to do this my first choice would be to use the event macro
mentioned in Chip Pearson's article.

If for some reason I couldn't do that then I'd use the technique I
described. You can use any key replacement you want but the whole idea is to
*not have to move your hand/fingers away from the numeric keypad to "search"
the keyboard for the replacement key*. Professional number crunchers can use
10 key blindfolded! You don't have to "search" for the decimal point key,
it's right there!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"James Silverton" wrote in message
T. wrote on Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:30:47 -0400:

Assuming you use the numeric keypad to enter numbers, typing
in a decimal point should be second-nature.

**Temporarily** set an AutoCorrect option to replace . (dot,
period, decimal point) with : (colon).

Then enter the times in 24hr decimal point format. For
example, 1:45 PM gets typed in as 13.45.

After you're done make sure you delete the temporary
AutoCorrect option then format the time entries in the style
of your choice.

Also see this: quick date/time entry:

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Why not set a two symbol autocorrect with something you can remember and
don't other wise use like " ~; " ";s" to autocorrect to ": " ? You could
also record a macro for SHFT-; and give it an icon couldn't you?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland