Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
macoute macoute is offline

Default negative numbers

I am doing a demographic table, so negative numbers are nonsense, as in "five
negative people." The cell should revert from a negative number to zero and
be incorporated as such in successive calculations, not merely show as zero
but work in calculations as the original negative number. "-5=0", not -5
shows as zero but still functions as -5.

macoute

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi Lisa

if you mean "sum" as a total of a range of numbers
=MAX(SUM(A1:A100),0)

if you mean "sum" as a value, ie -200
then right mouse click on the cells choose format cell
choose the number tab, click on custom on the left and in the box on the
right type
#,##0;\0

Note: this will only change the way they look .. .not the actual value.

Cheers
JulieD

"Lisa" wrote in message
How do I make negative sums show as a zero on my spreadsheet?