Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default How do you remove trailing spaces withour Trim function?

Your problem likely is that you don't have a space in your cell, you have a
non-printing character. Look up "Removing spaces and non-printing characters
from text" in Help.

A common problem in web-based data is non-breaking spaces (char(160)). If
this is your problem, you can get rid of it with:
=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A4,CHAR(160),CHAR(32)))

Regards,
Fred.

"RajenRajput1" wrote in message
Hi.

How do you remove trailing spaces?

I have copied over some statement data from my online banking with HSBC.

Column A has all the debits. Column B has all the credits. Column C has
the current balance.

Column A somehow has values stored as text and the values have trailing
spaces. For example, instead of "34.22" there is "34.22 " inserted.

This means that I cannot make any calculations on the numbers in column A.

I have tried using the Trim function to remove the trailing space, but
even
after a paste values, the space is still there.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

The method I used was to put in column D, =trim(a1). Then in column E I
pasted values from column D. I noticed that the spaces were still there,
which means converting to a number did not work.

Any help would be appreciated as I have many many rows of data.

Thank you.