Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RajenRajput1 RajenRajput1 is offline

Default How do you remove trailing spaces withour Trim function?

Thank you for your help.

The text to columns worked on Office 2007 but not on 2003.

Thank you very much.

"NDBC" wrote:

my only other suggestion would be to select one column of data go to

Data text to columns then choose delimited then choose space as the
delimiter and see if that takes it out.

"RajenRajput1" wrote:

Hi.

How do you remove trailing spaces?

I have copied over some statement data from my online banking with HSBC.

Column A has all the debits. Column B has all the credits. Column C has
the current balance.

Column A somehow has values stored as text and the values have trailing
spaces. For example, instead of "34.22" there is "34.22 " inserted.

This means that I cannot make any calculations on the numbers in column A.

I have tried using the Trim function to remove the trailing space, but even
after a paste values, the space is still there.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

The method I used was to put in column D, =trim(a1). Then in column E I
pasted values from column D. I noticed that the spaces were still there,
which means converting to a number did not work.

Any help would be appreciated as I have many many rows of data.

Thank you.