Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.misc
Vincent Vincent is offline

Default Major and minor gridlines on logarithmic axis excel 2007

Bernard,
I appreciate your response and looking into this matter. I hope they will
eventually be able to create a hotfix for this bug.

I've seen a lot of confusion on usenet about the use of a log scale. A
typical reason you want to plot with a log scale is - 1) Increase the dynamic
range of the plot, and 2) look for exponential trends in you data (shows up
as linear).

It's not because you want to actually take the log of the data. Having a
log scale allows you to quickly read off the scale (mainly using the minor
gridlines). Taking the log of the data makes that very difficult.

This brings me to another annoyance with log plots on excel. Do not
continuously display pop-up errors when you plot zeros on a log plot. There
is nothing wrong with plotting this - just give me a graceful error only once
and plot blanks. Engineering data has zeros all the time, that should not
preclude visualizing it on a log scale!