Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.misc
B. R.Ramachandran B. R.Ramachandran is offline

Default Major and minor gridlines on logarithmic axis excel 2007

Hi.

You can mimic minor gridlines indirectly by adding a second series to your
logarithmic plot.
Create two columns to contain the gridline information as shown below (Here
I am showing columns C and D and they start at Row 2.

Row C D
1
2 10 2e13
3 15 3e13
4 15 4e13
5 15 5e13
6 15 6e13
7 15 7e13
8 15 8e13
9 15 9e13

These are the gridline-information for the decade between 1e13 and 1e14. If
you want to show more decades, you could simply use the formula =D2*10 at D10
and fill down to as many decades as you want.
In Column C, I arbitrarily entered 10 in Row 2 (in scale on the x-axis) and
15 in the rest (slightly larger than the x-axis maximum in your logarithmic
plot).
Now add the series Column D (y-values) vs Column C (x-values) to your
logarithmic plot. Only the first data-point (10, 2e13) will show up (the
rest of the points are off scale); this is needed for doing the next step.
Include horizontal error bars to this series and format them as:
Display: Minus
End Style: No Cap
Error Amount: Percentage, 100.0%

Now change C2 to 15 so that that marker will also go off scale.

The error bars will mimic minor gridlines. Format their color, line
thickness, and line style as you wish to distinguish them from the major
gridlines.

With regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"Vincent" wrote:

use this data in two columns:
5 1.00E+13
12 2.00E+13
13 3.00E+13

Insert scatter plot.
Axis - vertical axis with log scale
Gridlines - horizontal - major and minor

Try minor only and you see what it should look like.
Then change your y-axis data to 1E12, 2e12, and 3e12. the major and minor
suddenly show up.

for a log plot I typically make a dark black line for the 10's and light
gray for the 1's. It makes the log plot much more readable.

This has been broken for at least SP1 and SP2. It worked fine in 2003 and
before.

How do I make a bug report on this? I see no issues in the knowledge base
or usenet.