Bill Ridgeway

Kan,

Thanks.

You wrote <<Been there too many times when I've not done it and then
regretted it It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

This technique is also useful when merging (large) databases. The URN is
the only stable piece of data on otherwise changing data. It is, therefore,
easier to then sort on this to bring any duplicates together. I usually
then add a further field =IF(a2=a1,1,0) to identify the duplicates and then
copy / paste special / values in that column. It's then easy to Find
records with "1" and delete the appropriate duplicate records.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Ken Wright" wrote in message
Personally I'd do both. Anytime I'm going to sort I will always add a
unique field no matter what. Been there too many times when I've not done
it and then regretted it (Have to close without saving and lose what
you've
done to get back). I'll use Domenic's method for the blanks, but SORT =
UNIQUE ID every time.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Peo,

Thanks for that. This is better than my suggestion for Rebecca for

filling
in blanks.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
Sure

"Try the following...

1) Select/highlight your data (five columns)

2) Edit Go To Special Blanks Ok

3) Enter your unique character

4) Press CONTROL+ENTER

Peo Sjoblom

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Peo,

I don't have Domenic's solution (not received or deleted in error)

could
you please re-post it?

Thanks.

Regards.